OK, so I’m addicted to several things in life: exercising, coffee (although I’m trying to slowly ween off of that one), reading magazines, peanut butter, dark chocolate, and yes–now sweet potatoes. They are just the perfect, most cheap vegetable (about 50 cents for a medium one) and you can do oh so much with them! Poke a few holes with a fork, pop ’em in the mic for about 6 to 8 minutes, and voila: instant deliciousness.
Here, 5 healthy ways with this phenomenal fall-favorite vegetable. First cook the sweet potato in the microwave for 6 to 8 minutes, or bake in the oven wrapped in tin foil and then do as follows:
1. The Sweet Toother: Drizzle with 1 TB 100% maple syrup, 1 tsp. cinnamon, and 1 tsp. nutmeg to cure a sweets craving!
2. Cajun Concoction: Top with 1 TB Cajun seasoning, 1 tsp. cayenne pepper and a touch of red pepper flakes for a spicy treat!
3. Light ‘n’ Simple: Spread your sweet potato with 1 TB smart balance butter (or another light variety) with a pinch of salt and pepper. . . always hits the spot.
4. Herb-alicious: Coat the potato with all your favorite seasonings/herbs! I personally love oregano, parsley and basil!
5. Fry-tastic: Transform your sweet potato into delicious healthy french fries. Rather than cooking the potato ahead of time, slice into small strips resembling french fries. Then, coat with 1 TB olive oil and a dash of salt ‘n’ pepper. Coat a baking sheet with olive oil and pop ’em in the oven for about 30 minutes on 350, or until crunchy. Adds herbs and spices of your choice to liven them up! Serve as a side with a meal, or dip ’em in ketchup for a quick and easy snack.